Friday, February 19, 2010

Snow Scooter Training

From On the Scooter



Morning Light
Morning Light



Today was the snow scooter training. And what a stunning day it was to be out. Crystal clear and permanently dawn-like, the sky was pink and pale blue, and nothing but snowy peaks around us.

As luck had it, we were the first group out, but this meant we had the training in the afternoon. So all we were told is this is the throttle, this is the brake, and move your bum to keep balance and aid steering!

So we kitted up until we looked almost like starfish (as all the little kids here do). I wore 3 merino tops, merino pants, fleece pants, a fleece, a down gilet and then a thermal snow scooter suit. On my head I wore a fleece neck tube, a balaclava-type face mask, a helmet and googles. On my hands were liner gloves and scooter mittens, and on my feet 2 pairs of socks and huge snow boots. I was the only recognisable person as I had a blue face mask and everyone else a black one.

Next we clambered onto the 600cc Yamaha snow scooters and were told 'go'! So we turned the key and once the engine was warm triggered the throttle and headed off. All around the uni is sheet ice so we set of slowly (in fact rather erratically as it is hard to keep even pressure on the throttle at low speed with huge mittens on!). I was pretty nervous but soon realised that although not exactly graceful, I was moving along alright. It got even better when I found out at our first stop that the handles are actually heated and there was no need for completely frozen hands.

We travelled along the frozen fjord, which was covered in snow in places, but ice in others. Driving across the ice felt, and sounded, strange but I soon got used to it. Ahead we could see snowy peaks tinged pink as we followed the wavy line of the red back lights of the scooters ahead. Everywhere you looked was snow; no buildings, no trees, no nothing. We passed two dog sled teams and it just felt so surreal being there. The only thing that I didn't like was the constant noise of the engine in my ears.

At minus 22 and driving at around 45 kmph (up to 60 at times), you can imagine how important it was to have every inch of skin covered. Even so, one nostril froze solid, and I did ponder for a moment whether it was possible for all beathing holes to freeze up! The face mask had small holes in for breathing, but these soon filled with frozen breath so you had to blow hard to clear them again! My nose was the coldest part of me, which got so cold at one point I couldn't tell if it was still covered up, especially because the mittens made it hard to distinguish things properly.

We learnt to drive on the flat first, then tilted to the side while driving along a slope (bums off the side!!) and then up and down hills. I liked going uphill best and the engine was powerful enough not to ever need full throttle. The longer we drove the more happy I became, but like diving, I think this will take me a while to feel completely comfortable doing. And I really appreciate what Alex said when he learnt to drive a motorbike, that at first you think you are whizzing along, until you look down and realise you are only travelling at 30 kmph!

Photos to come as I am still in uni waiting for the 'Friday Gathering'. However there aren't many as it was exceedingly hard to use the camera and I was concentrating on the driving, plus the battery was dead within minutes. I may have to keep the battery close to my skin and somehow dig it out when we make stops. In massive mittens.

Not that the pictures could do it justice.

1 comments:

Alex Murphy said...

I'm so proud of you giving everything such a go. Well done.xxx